Saturday, April 7, 2012

Workout #69 of 2012 ~ Cardio


It's been a stressful week with my husband out of town and my kids have been testing my patience a bit more than usual today.  Thus, I felt the need for some cardio therapy.  I worked out for 45 minutes on the elliptical, did 3.55 miles and burned 442 calories according to the likely inaccurate calorie-counter on my machine.  I did not even look at the time until 32 minutes had passed.  How is that possible?  

Well, while I worked out, I watched the last 17 minutes of one episode of The Vampire Diaries (including some commercials that I fast-forwarded through) and then began a new episode.  I made a self-imposed rule that I could not check the time on the machine until the second commercial break in the new episode.  It was a game of willpower and I won! I was trekking along thinking, "Surely it will be past the 20-minute mark."  Imagine my surprise to see 32 minutes had already passed.  I also was already at 2.6 miles.  I first decided to make it to 2.75 miles.  Then I decided to make it to 350 calories burned, then the goal became 3 miles, then 45 minutes and/or 3.5 miles.

It's just like with teaching.  If you can make it a game, it's that much more engaging.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment