Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What's your why?


I read this article on Facebook and it made me think about all my whys.  There are so many reasons for why we choose to workout, and it's important to keep those whys in mind to keep us motivated to carry on.  So what are my whys?  

Here are my top 10 reasons for working out:

10. I like to cross it off my to-do list!  Listmakers understand the appeal of being able to cross just one more thing off the to-do list.  It makes you feel accomplished and you can give yourself a pat on the back.

9. I want to feel good in a bathing suit.  Okay, maybe not "good" but definitely not like I shouldn't be wearing one.  Yeah, it's a superficial reason, but it gets me to workout all winter so I don't panic when I go to the pool in the summer.

8. I feel powerful when I work out.  I love feeling my muscles work as I use free weights.  I feel strong and can tell my effort is doing something.

7. It's an AMAZING de-stresser.  Life is stressful.  Working out helps to prevent tension headaches and to prevent me from clenching my jaw in my sleep.  If I focus on something stressful, I find I have twice as much endurance (at least).  Suppressed stress will come out eventually, why not put that energy into a workout that will uplift your mood!  Which brings me to the next reason...

6. It lifts my mood.  "Exercise causes endorphins and endorphins make you happy.  And happy people just don't kill their husbands."  Legally Blonde put it best :).

5. It energizes me!  I notice a significant increase in my energy level throughout the day when I am consistently working out.  I know it might not make sense that working my body hard gives me energy but it does--and that's a fact for anyone. 

4. The confidence I gain from working out transcends into other facets of my life.  I see it in my personal and professional life.  I am more likely to go after other goals when I'm working towards a fitness one as well.

3. It keeps me healthier!  In the last year, I've noticed that the duration of my colds and minor illnesses has halved.  For example, before I worked out regularly, if I got a cold, I would typically have symptoms anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks.  My last two colds have lasted less than 7 days.

2.I don't want to have to "diet."  While I still try to be healthy, by working out, I don't have to worry so much about gaining weight if I splurge here and there.  I recently found out a colleague works out in order to be able to eat whatever she wants.  I don't think I workout enough for that LOL.  Maybe someday ;).

1. I want to feel confident everyday.  I have overcome many body-image issues over the years but every girl has her "fat days."  When I workout regularly, I find the fat days are fewer and farther apart.  Plus, swim suit season is either here or always looming in the near-future.  I don't want to have to dread the pool when I live in a state that has 100+ degree weather all summer.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment