Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tip of the Week ~ Drink water!

The cup that makes this water-hater drink 70 ounces a day!
Did you know that the eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day is just a general statement to encourage people to drink water?  All of our bodies are different which means all of our bodies need different amounts of water.  I used to try to follow the 64 ounces of water a day rule until I discovered that there's a better way to know how much water I needed.  It's better to do it based on body weight.

Take your body weight (say 140 pounds)
Divide it in two (70)

For a 140 pound person, 70 ounces is the magic number.

I realize that's awfully close to the 64 ounces, but not everyone weighs 140 pounds.  When I was trying to lose weight in college and then again after having my second child, one of the key components that aided my weight loss was my water consumption.  When the body isn't hydrated, it can make you feel hungry when you are actually thirsty.  I notice that when I drink my target water ounces, I am less inclined to be hungry between meals, and I am less likely to have wild cravings for bad foods.

Now that I'm focused on being fit and healthy, I notice my energy level changes depending on how much water I've had.  I used to be one of those people that could go a week without an actual glass of water.  I do not like water but my body now reminds me on a daily basis that I need it.  So how does someone who HATES water drink 70 ounces of water a day?  EASY!  I have an awesome cup that I LOVE and only allow water in it.  I also have some bigger water holders that I keep on my desk at work to make it easy to refill my favorite cup when I run out.

Trust me, if you make yourself drink water, you will see a difference in your energy level and it will help prevent overeating!

No comments:

Post a Comment