Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Workout 18 of 2011 (Ripped in 30 Level 1 Day 1)

Despite my hip pain, I could not wait any longer to try out Jillian Michaels' new DVD Ripped in 30.  Before I go into my experience I want to give the disclaimer that I now am not sure if it's a pulled muscle because it feels NOTHING like a strained muscle (of which I have much experience thanks to the 10 years of figure skating).  I was very careful in my workout and while it's still a bit sensitive, it's definitely better today than it was yesterday.

So about my new DVD...  Jillian has 4 levels that are intended to be done 5-6 times each over the course of 30 days.  She recommends at least 1 day of rest a week.  Each workout has 3 circuits following her 3-2-1 program: 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs.  This is a sequel to her popular and amazing 30 Day Shred.  The shred is what made me a Jillian Michaels' fan and follower.

Of course I began with level 1 even though I figured it SHOULD be easy for someone like me who is in pretty good shape.  I must say, this is the first level 1 workout on any of her DVDs that I actually agree is a beginner's workout.  She moves slowly throughout each circuit and you end up doing less reps compared to other workouts.  Due to my joint issues, I cannot do some of the cardio moves--something I've grown accustomed to in her workouts--so I jumped onto the elliptical when necessary.  Though the workout overall was easy, I still worked up a sweat and relished in the fact that I am in such good shape that the "beginner" workout did not knock me down.

The main difference between this and the Shred is that the strength part incorporates more than 2 moves per circuit.  The Shred always wipes me out because you do one movement for 30 seconds and then a combo legs/arms movement for a whole minute.  I find that my weakling arms (though getting stronger) still do not like the minute long of doing the same movement OVER and OVER and OVER for a gazillion reps.  Ripped in 30 has 3-4 different moves in each 3-minute strength portion of each circuit.  My arms are thankful for that, plus it made it possible to work a larger variety of muscles.

My plan at this time is to do level 1 four more times, then level 2 five times, level 3 five times and then level 4 and see if I notice a difference.  While I'm not looking to lose weight, I'm hoping to see some changes in my muscle definition.  Let's see if Jillian will get me ripped in 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment