Sunday, September 23, 2012

Workout 183 ~ 1-mile Fun Run!

Before the Family Fun Run
Yesterday, my parents, Gavin, Kailee and I did a fun run/walk at Oktoberfest in Addison to Wipe Out Kids Cancer.

My job was to stay with Gavin, who took off at a sprint!  I am very good at pacing myself, but it should come as no shock that my 6-year-old is not.  He would sprint for a minute, then jog a bit, then sprint some more.  I am not a sprinter--at least not for as long as he can sprint--so my lungs were on fire the whole time.  It did not help that I have an upper-respiratory infection.

I am so unbelievably proud of Gavin!  He ran the ENTIRE mile and then wanted to sign up for the 5K.  I promised him that next Saturday we would start training him for a 5K (we have to work on pacing since he just wants to run as fast as he can at first) and after two more mile fun runs, I would sign him up for a 5K.  The reality is, for me, pacing is crucial for my endurance.  I could not run a 5K alternating between sprints and jogs.  I need to go a steady pace and there's no way I would have lasted yesterday following his pattern.  He might, but I could not.  I already downloaded some Kidz Bop CDs for us to run to--I got a belt phone holder for running that will fit the phone in it inside even a bulky case like an otter box.

So today I signed us up for the next fun run on October 28th.  We'll see how that goes and go from there :).

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment