Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tip of the Week ~ Avoid the mirror!


Okay, that sounds CRAZY!  But it works!  If you constantly pick at your flaws when you look in the mirror or you find yourself drawn to the mirror to double-check that your muffin-top isn't showing or your jeans are still holding your tummy flat, then give up the mirrors!

When my husband and I first got together, I was at a time in my life where I was OBSESSIVE about my figure.  I would make comments about my flaws ALL THE TIME and not even in the girl-looking-for-a-compliment way.  I was just stating what I saw.  My wonderful husband got mad at me and made it clear that he loved my body and would not stick around to hear me berate myself on a regular basis.  He told me I could think whatever I wanted as long as I didn't tell him about it.

I really took it to heart and realized that the source of the problem was my meticulous scrutiny every time I encountered a mirror.  I finally decided to give up the mirror.  I'd use it to make sure my clothes matched, to put on makeup, to check if anything was in my teeth, and that was it.  It took awhile to get used to avoiding mirrors (and reflections in windows, cabinets, the TV, etc) but I noticed how much happier I was by not focusing on the negative.

So if you find you only see your flaws, give my theory a try.  It can't hurt, right?

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment