Sunday, May 22, 2011

Diabetes Tip ~ Just a spoonful of Sugar


Since I'm a type 1 diabetic, I have decided to throw in some diabetes tips in my blog as well.  I have 23 years of experience with the disease, so I will share what I've found to be helpful over the years.

My first tip deals with low bloodsugar.  There are obvious options like glucose tabs and juice but sometimes--like the middle of the night--I need a quick fix.  When in need, I remember Mary Poppin's. 

Just a spoonful of...
honey
jelly
jam
chocolate syrup
pancake syrup
frosting/icing

If you don't already know, your gums can easily and quickly absorb sugar.  So when I take a spoonful of these things, I squish and swish it around in my mouth to help my gums absorb faster.  I do the same with juice.

Unfortunately my ideas are not particularly healthy but they are quick and convenient, and when dealing with low bloodsugar, it's more important to raise the bloodsugar level than to be healthy.  I discovered each of these fixes in the middle of the night at someone else's house  over the years when I came unprepared for low bloodsugar to homes that were not used to accommodating diabetics beyond providing diet beverages.  Necessity is the mother of invention my friends!




XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment